Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Fill in the blank with......

The word of the day is........diphthong!

First, what it really means:
–noun
1. Phonetics. an unsegmentable, gliding speech sound varying continuously in phonetic quality but held to be a single sound or phoneme and identified by its apparent beginning and ending sound, as the oi-sound of toy or boil.
2. (not in technical use) a. a digraph, as the ea of meat.
b. a ligature, as æ.

–verb (used with object), verb (used without object)
3. to diphthongize.

But....it's such a freakin funny word I decided to use it different. :)

So I got the cutest diphthong at the mall last night!
Man, that guy is such a diphthong.
Shut up and stop diphthonging around!
You can't leave the table until you've eaten all of your diphthong.
What the diphthong?
Don't make me turn this diphthong around!
NO returns or exchanges on ANY diphthongs.
I can't believe that her diphthong was hanging out like that.
I am such a stupid dipthong!
I had to diphthongize my car because it wouldn't start.
I can't hear any diphthong you are saying!
I'll have 2 diphthongs and a coke, please.
Shipping of your diphthong will take 4-6 weeks.
Ask me about my diphthong!
Did you diphthongize the dishes?
How many diphthongs does it take to screw in a light bulb?
If I had a diphthong for every time you've said that, I'd be rich!
If you can't keep your diphthong to yourself, I will have to separate you two.
Can you just not be a diphthong for a minute?
My diphthong just got home from work!

No comments: